Rushing the field after the OSU-Iowa game

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Emerging Technology: Animoto

I explored the presentation technology of Animoto. (http://animoto.com/). I found this technology easy to use and I was excited to produce a quality piece. This website allows you to input pictures, text titles, and music to create an exciting video. I think this technology is much more exciting to watch than a PowerPoint Presentation. Animoto provides a tutorial and step-by-step directions to walk you through the creation process. I easily signed up for a free membership. With this free membership, the videos you create are limited to 30 seconds, as compared to a paid membership with longer videos. The free membership also limits the number of pictures and text titles that can be included. Although the website does offer a wide selection of music, the music is obscure. You can use your own music if it is in a mp3 format.

This is a perfect tool for me to use in the classroom. In 4th grade, we study Indiana history. Not originally from Indiana, over the past few years I decided to travel around the state to actually visit the places I teach about. I then can show my students the pictures I take and bring the locations to life. I decided to make an Animoto video using the pictures from one of my latest trips to Corydon-Indiana's first state capitol, and the Civil War battlefield located in Corydon. I am excitied to show my students this video. I think it will keep them interested and engaged in Social Studies! Here is my link to my Corydon video:
http://animoto.com/play/oui7H4V88pXGt33R1BI5GQ

There are a few complications to this website when integrating it into the classroom. First, students would need to sign in with an e-mail address to get a free account. Several of my students do not computers at home, so therefore do not have e-mail addresses. In addition, as a teacher I wouldn't feel comfortable having my 4th graders enter their e-mail address, if they have one, at school. Also, the website does show other member's videos, which are not all appropriate for school. To counter this, Animoto seems like a tool that I can use to show my students on our projector. Although the students would not be involoved in the creation process, I still think the technology is engaging.

3 comments:

  1. I also did an emerging technology post on Animoto! I thought that it was a great resource to use in any classroom. I was actually surprised by how easy Animoto was to use! I am excited to use it in my Social Studies classes in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see this as being a great substitute for me for power point. I do a lot with ppt. and I would love to have something more interactive. I think though, I would just have the account and use it for presentations rather than all the kids on board.....Hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that this is a more exciting to relay information than a powerpoint. I am lucky in the fact that I teach in a computer lab so every student has the ability to use it. I am going to have to explore this technology further because I am not very familiar with it. Anyway great video.

    ReplyDelete