Rushing the field after the OSU-Iowa game

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Module 4: 21st Century Skills

I watched the video titled "Big Thinkers: Howard Gardner on Digital Youth," because I am familiar with some of his work using multiple intelligences. Although this video did not target this area of his research, I still felt it was very interesting and meaningful. He commented about the vast amount of information available on the Internet, and how students no longer are using the 'old school' way of research by looking in an encyclopedia. I also found it interesting that he mentioned that a teacher's role in the classroom is shifting to become more of a coach and role model. I can see how this could happen in schools, as students can educate themselves using the vast amount of resources and tools online. If kids can teach themselves how to play ( and beat) video games, text message, listen to podcasts, and how to blog, then why shouldn't they be able to teach themselves many other skills? Teachers would then become a guide, rather than a leader figure. In essence, many of us do this today in our own classrooms. We provide students with the tools they need to arrive at a conclusion and become independent thinkers.

Of the other 3 videos we watched, I was particularly intrigued with the piano stairs. What an awesome way to transmit technology into everyday life and effect a large amount of people. After watching this video, I reflected on my own thinking, since I am the one that usually does take the stairs, not the elevator or escalator. I thought about why I did this: saving time, exercise benefit? I eventually came up with the fact that I am bored riding on an escalator, I want to do something: so taking the stairs is more fun for me. If I choose to do things in a fun way, why shouldn't my students? It was easy to see the joy and excitement of the people on the piano stairs in the video. They were enjoying themselves, which is the attitude I would like to transfer to my students.

As a goal, I would like to integrate more engaging technology use into my classroom. Since school is such a large part of a student's day, why not make it fun by using technology











What a neat idea! Using technology to make something ordinary, fun!



Very powerful video!

1 comment:

  1. I found your comment about how students don't use the "old school" way of researching anymore interesting. I am learning in another one of my classes about research and how sometimes going to a book first is simply the best way to do it. The vast amount of information on the internet is hard to sift through sometimes. Going right to the encyclopedia for simple answers is the best way to do it. Students, unfortunately I as well, have lost a lot of that value.

    ReplyDelete