Rushing the field after the OSU-Iowa game

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Emerging Technology #3 - Thinkfinity

Thinkfinity is an excellent resource geared towards educators, parents, students, and those involved in after-school care. This website offers a wide variety of pre-made lesson plans and interactive activities to use, all organized by content and grade level. Embedded in many of these lessons are additional links to offer more explanation or information. This 'database' of lessons is easy to use, simply type in the content you are looking for and click go! A list of lessons pops up for you to choose from and explore. As an educator, I used Thinkifinity to find a lesson on my upcoming unit on natural resources and recycling to tie into Earth Day in April. I found many options and clicked through to find one suitable to use for my 4th graders. I was happy to find that the lesson I chose came from Science NetLinks, which also offered more information and more lessons I can use in the future. Many lessons on Thinkfinity are supported or submitted from reputable partners such as the Smithsonian National Museum and the International Reading Association. All lessons are tied to standards, which is convenient for teachers!

One downfall I did notice was that some links in the lessons did not work, which can be frustrating if you need a lesson quickly or are excited about the lesson preview. Also, although Thinkfinity offers a wide range of lessons, some topics can't be found, especially when relating to specific people or state history concepts.

Thinkfinity also offers interactive games for students right on the website things such as practicing math concepts and science classification. Also, under the student section, homework help is available in the form of atlases and graphic organizers to write essays and letters. Book lists are also available for students.

I feel that Thinkfinity is a great time saving resource for teachers. It offers new ideas for teachers to motivate their students, and engages students in educational games. Click here to view the lesson on recycling that I plan to use in my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment